AMC Historical Office
The mission of the U.S. Army Materiel Command's Historical Office is to develop policy and procedures for the conduct of the AMC Historical Program. The office represents AMC at the Army level and provides guidance for AMC's subordinate command and activity historians. The Historical Office acquires and preserves the history of the command by ensuring that documents, oral interviews, visual images and other source materials are safeguarded in the office's historical research collection.
The AMC Historical Office advances knowledge through research to provide historical perspectives and support to decision making, military problem solving and materiel research and development. The office accomplishes this by disseminating historical materials through printed, electronic and multimedia formats that focus on historical themes and events.
- A Brief History of the U.S. Army Materiel Command (1962-2012) - An illustrated history of AMC from 1962-2012
- The Commanding Generals of the U.S. Army Materiel Command (1962-2012) - Biographies of all former commanding generals of AMC
- The U.S. Army Materiel Command Hall of Fame - Established in 2012, this booklet contains the inaugural AMC Hall of Fame class of 2012
From the Archives:
- Arsenal for the Brave (1969) - A comprehensive history of AMC from its genesis in 1962 to 1967
- The Redstone Arsenal Complex: 1941 to 1949 (1966) - A history of the installation AMC now calls "home," this study examines how Redstone Arsenal came to be.
- The Concept of Project Management (1964) - This study discusses the development of project management within AMC from 1962-1964.
- Project Management in AMC (1992) - Landmark study in AMC's concept and execution of project management.
- Modernization (1962) - A Department of Army public affairs film that highlights the Army's reorganization. Unique video footage of AMC's systems and materials it supported that first year (1962).
- The Army's Floating Workshop (ca. 1968) - A Department of the Army public affairs film on the story behind AMC's aviation repair facility located on a ship off the coast of Vietnam during that nation's war.
- Arsenal for the Brave (1974) - A Department of the Army public affairs film which showcased AMC in 1974.
- War and Pieces (1992) - An AMC public affairs film on AMC's many contributions to Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm.
History Office Phone: (256) 450-7852